Monthly HPC Café
We always start with a short Q&A session, where you can ask and discuss anything HPC related, from running job scripts to performance issues.
Every month, we will also focus on a specific topic, either as a short talk or a discussion. These can include, e.g., advanced usage, workflow optimizations, or application-specific issues.
A separate event on the day after the HPC Café is especially dedicated to new users and HPC beginners. Each month, we offer a short introduction on using the HPC systems at RRZE, including an overview of HPC clusters, how to connect to the systems, how to use the batch system, and more.
The HPC Café is also an informal platform to give feedback or talk about general requests. We look forward to meeting you and hope for lively participation.
Good news: If possible, the HPC Café will be held in hybrid mode; if you want to attend in person, free coffee and cake awaits! The HPC beginner’s intro is an online-only event.
Next event: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 4:00 p.m.
Focus topic: NHR@FAU hardware development 2024/25
Location (hybrid event): seminar room 2.049 (RRZE, Martensstrasse 1, 91058 Erlangen) and Zoom: https://fau.zoom.us/j/69439931483
Contact address for inquires: email@example.com
Next introduction for beginners (online): Wednesday, December 13, 2023, 3:30 p.m.
Topic: Using the HPC clusters at NHR@FAU
Current slides: HPC_in_a_Nutshell
Material from past HPC Café events:
- November 21: Vienna Ab-Initio Simulation Package (VASP) Benchmarks – Video recording at FAU.tv (IdM required)
- October 24: GPU Top Trumps! – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- September 12: Software installation for users – Containers, Conda, SPACK – Video recording at FAU.tv (IdM login required)
- July 11: Using the Jupyterhub Service at NHR@FAU – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- June 13: Computer Architecture 101 for Scientists – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv – Video recording at YouTube
- April 25: Mid-term hardware strategy at NHR@FAU – Slides
- March 21: The missing Python introduction for scientists (Speaker: Tamás Gál, Erlangen Centre for Astroparticle Physics, ECAP) – Slides – Video recording at YouTube – Video recording at FAU.tv
- February 14: The KONWIHR program – overview and funding opportunities – Slides on KONWIHR
- January 10: Introduction to the NHR@FAU HPC Portal and the ClusterCockpit monitoring system – Slides on ClusterCockpit – Video recording at FAU.tv
- December 13: Using the Zenodo document and data repository (invited talk by Dr. Jürgen Rohrwild, FAU University Library) – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- November 8: NHR@FAU User Forum (invited top users talked about their experience with compute clusters at NHR@FAU)
- October 11: Modern Fortran (invited talk by Dr. Reinhold Bader, LRZ Garching) – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv – Video recording at YouTube
- September 13: News from NHR@FAU—cluster configurations, resource monitoring – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- July 12: Job monitoring for end users—ClusterCockpit and PyTorch Profiling at work – Slides: Cluster Cockpit, PyTorch Profiling
- June 14: The new clusters at NHR@FAU—hardware, access, application process – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- May 10: From C++98 to C++11/14/17 – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv – Video recording at YouTube
- April 12: SLURM: Basics, best practices, advanced usage – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- March 8: GROMACS—Best practices – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv – Video recording at YouTube
- February 8: HPC Cafe für Kontaktpersonen (Liaisons) – Slides (English) – Video recording at FAU.tv (German) (IdM login required)
- January 18: Using File Systems Properly – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv
- December 14: Python beyond the basics: Numpy, Scipy, Matplotlib – GitHub repository with notebook and examples – Video recording at FAU.tv
- November 9: Effective Editing With Vim – Slides – Video recording at FAU.tv – Video recording at YouTube
- October 19: HowTo on using the Cx services based on the RRZE gitlab instances – Slides – Additional slides – Video recording
- September 14: General Q&A, some advice on using (and not misusing) the file systems, current state of NHR system installation
- August 10: summer break; only the usual introduction for beginners
- July 13: Current status NHR@FAU resources and KONWIHR projects – Slides NHR@FAU – Slides KONWIHR
- June 8: Build systems and “Make” – Video recording – Slides
- May 11: “Continuous x” (Cx) for HPC Systems (guest talk by Jennifer Buchmüller and Terry Cojean, KIT) – Video recording
- April 13: Julia in HPC (guest talk by Valentin Churavy, MIT CSAIL Julia Lab, MIT) – Video recording
- March 9: Git part 2: advanced features and workflows – Slides – Video recording
- February 9: Git: basics, common workflows, and tips and tricks – Slides – Video recording
- January 12: Focus topic: AI-assisted research at FAU – Four FAU researchers give short talks about how their projects benefit from Artificial Intelligence (AI) methods and what resources they require for it.
- Changes to expect for TinyGPU in 2021 and other news – Slides
- Peter Uhrig: “HPC workflows for big data and machine learning applications”
- Benedikt Lorch: “Deep learning in the HPC environment Computing demands for research in multimedia forensics”
- Harald Köstler: “Deep learning for Computational Fluid Dynamics”
- Thorsten Glüsenkamp: “AI research in astroparticle physics at ECAP”
- December 8: FAU becomes a Center for National High Performance Computing (NHR)—Opportunities and Changes – Slides
- November 10: Storage options for HPC users – Slides
- October 13: Jupyterhub Introduction – Slides
- August 11 & September 8: HPC in a nutshell; see the slides posted on https://hpc.fau.de/systems-services/hpc-user-training/
- July 14
- June 9: Secure system access—how to handle SSH and passwords safely – Slides – Video recording
- May 12: Introduction to Software Containers with Singularity – Slides
- April 14: Tools for remote working – Slides
- March 10: Modules and Software installation – Slides (Thomas Gruber, RRZE)
- February 11: Application Labs at LRZ – Slides (Gerald Mathias, LRZ)
- January 14: Quantum Chemistry – Slides
- December 10: no slides but visit to RRZE’s server room
- November 12
- October 8: see the HPC-Nutshell slides posted on systems-services/hpc-user-training/
- September 10: no slides—first getting to know each other