Student Cluster Competition
FAU teams regularly participate at the Student Cluster Competition , often as the only German team. The student cluster competition is an event organized at three major Supercomputing conferences. University students build their own supercomputers for a live face-off to see whose is the fastest. They’re given real, scientific workloads to run and a power limit they can’t exceed, and the team with the highest-performing system wins. The FAU team students had to attend the Supercomputing Praktikum (SuCoPra) held by Johannes Hofmann and Alexander Ditter from the Chair of Computer Science for preparation. The HPC group at RRZE helps with their expertise in HPC administration, performance engineering and performance tools. The Student Cluster Competition is held at three major annual HPC conferences: Supercomputing (SC, USA), International Supercomputing Conference (ISC, Germany), and Asian Supercomputing Conference (ASC, China). The FAU is ranked second overall in the EMEA leadership board and ninth in the worldwide leadership board as the best European team. Many team students later decide to stick with HPC and choose a bachelor or master thesis or even do their PHD in this interesting field.
Contact Christian Widerspick (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information .
FAU teams competed at the following events:
- SC 2019, Denver, USA – Team name: deFAUlt
- ASC 2019, Dalian, China – First Prize Winner and Group Award Winner! Team name: SegFAUlt
- SC 2018, Dallas, USA – Team name: deFAUlt
- ISC 2018, Frankfurt, Germany – Winning the Highest LINPACK Award! Team name: danger high FAUltage
- ASC 2018, Nanchang, China – First Prize Winner! Team name: SegFAUlt
- SC 2017, Denver, USA – Team TUMany segFAUlts. Together with TU Munich.
- ISC 2017, Frankfurt, Germany – Winning the Highest LINPACK Award! Team name: FAUboyzz
- ASC 2017, Wuxi, China – First Class Prize! Team name: SegFAUlt
- SC 2016, Salt Lake City, USA – Team name: SegFAUlt
- SC 2014, New Orleans, USA – Team name: Krautcomputing
- SC 2013, Denver, USA – Winning overall third place! Team name: Krautcomputing